Alas, the fantasy somehow doesn't always quite unfold as planned, and now I find myself questioning, "What really is prefect, anyway?".
Liv adding in a last minute dance competition on Mother's Day found me up at 4:50AM making pancakes to fuel her for the morning. Rushing, we just made our 5:15 departure with hair and makeup done, costumes in hand, and lunch prepared and packed for the day. Luckily our travel time to San Diego took a mere 26 minutes getting us to UCSD early, however I had left the kitchen strewn with the remnants of pancake and lunch prep along a list waiting for me to finish before my parents arrived later that evening for dinner.
|My Liv... :)|
Arriving home by 2PM and with only 2 1/2 hours to get dinner on the table I set to cleaning the kitchen from the morning mess and I'll admit to feeling a bit miffed that no one stepped up to help. It was Mother's Day after all, wasn't it?
Hours later with a tidy kitchen, freshly made garlic and sundried tomato bread (my mom's favorite - recipe coming soon!), dinner prepared and dessert baked, Mom and Dad arrived and I shared a beer with my dad completely forgetting to prepare the Strawberry Champagne Cocktail I had planned.
After a lovely dinner, my husband and I cleaned up the kitchen again and I longed for a bath and bed when my son called in needed help with an issue at college. Just finishing the call, Liv came down needing help with her homework and my husband commented that his uniform shirts weren't ready for him to head to work in the morning. Sigh.
Feeling tired, overlooked, and even a little unappreciated, I finally found that bath. Easing my tired back my phone beeped as my son texted a thanks for helping him along with "Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. I have a few friends I hope you'll be able to meet." Wow... he really wants me to meet his friends? My heart lifted.
Popping in later to tell Liv goodnight she said, "Come here..." and enveloping me in a huge hug it was the "Mom... I'm so lucky God gave me to you. You're the best mom ever. I don't know what I'd do without you!" that completely melted my heart.
Heading to bed my husband also embraced me whispering, "You were amazing today... thanks for holding our family together."
It was then that I reflected that yes... my day had indeed been perfect after all. I spent Mother's Day doing exactly what I love. Being a mom. And I wouldn't change a thing.
And so the spoiling was left for today when Stacy of Food Lust People Love completely spoiled me with her version of this fabulous Strawberry Champagne Cocktail. May's Blogger Clue Series (#BloggerClue) prompt of "Berries" transported me to the other side of the world where I perused Stacy's incredible recipes and learned a bit about her life in Dubai. With her lovely smile and kind heart, Stacy references her many travels and warms my heart with her love of her girls, husband and adorable boxer, Beso.
Choosing from a plethora of luscious berry recipes including Blueberry Muffins, raspberry treats and even more strawberry muffins and breads, this Strawberry Champagne Cocktail had been meant for Mother's Day, but ended up being the perfect complement to a spontaneous Day After Mother's Day brunch with my husband as we laughed and completed the photo shoot together.
So here's to Stacy, a mom like me who gets by day to day and loves her job as much as I do. Cheers my friend! Thanks for spoiling me today.
And now won't you join me as we discover what the rest of our lovely Blogger Clue Society brings to the table?
- Blackberry Yogurt Muffins by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Blueberry Bars by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake by Heather from girlichef
- Blueberry Lemon Bars by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Muffins by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Blueberry Sour Cream Cake by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes and Frosting by Kelli from Kelli's Kitchen
- Irish Blackberry Cobbler Cocktail by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Italian Jam Cookies by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Cheesecake Parfaits with Raspberry Sauce by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Raspberry Muffins by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Raspberry Oat Bars by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Strawberry and Coconut Tartlets by Anna from annaDishes
- Strawberry Champagne Cocktail by Kim from Liv Life
- Strawberry Fool by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Strawberry Lemon Marmalade by Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Strawberry Margaritas by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Strawberry Mousse by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tapioca Cream Strawberry Parfait by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Vanilla Roasted Peaches with Mascarpone and Raspberries by Kathleen from Bakeaway with Me